The Kerala Agricultural University is the primary and the principal instrumentality of the Kerala State in providing human resources, and skills and technology, required for the sustainable development of its agriculture, defined broadly encompassing all production activities based on land and water, including crop production (agriculture), animal husbandry, forestry and fishery through conducting, interfacing and integrating education, research and extension in these spheres of economic endeavour.
Ever since its inception, the Kerala Agricultural University has been providing high quality professional education. In the year 2001, the Indian Council of Agricultural Research has adjudged the Kerala Agricultural University as the best performing University among the thirty five State Agricultural Universities and deemed Universities in the country.
* Between four faculties (Agriculture, Veterinary and Animal Science, Fisheries and Agricultural Engineering,) ten constituent colleges (three for Agriculture, two for Veterinary and Animal Sciences, one each for Agricultural Engineering, Forestry, Fisheries, Cooperation Banking Management, and Dairy Science and Technology) and 56 Departments, the University offers graduate and post-graduate programmes at Masters as well as Doctoral levels, in almost all the disciplines and specialties on various subjects related to agriculture.
* The seven graduate programmes offered include Agriculture, Forestry, Cooperation and Banking, Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Dairy Science and Technology, Fisheries, and Agricultural Engineering and Technology.
* In 43 disciplines the University offers nine Post-graduate programmes leading to Masters degree such as Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Agricultural Statistics, Cooperation and Banking, Home Science (Food and Nutrition), Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Fisheries and Agricultural Engineering and Technology
* Doctoral programmes are offered in Agriculture, Horticulture, Home Science (Food and Nutrition), Cooperation and Banking, and Veterinary & Animal Sciences covering 23 disciplines.
* The University has built up the capacity and facilities to train annually a little over 700 students of which 425 for Graduates, 215 for Masters and 65 for Doctorates. On the average, the University has around 2000 students on its rolls of which girl students constitute nearly three fifths.
* The Kerala Agricultural University has been instrumental in providing the intellectual foundation and training in scientific experimentation through its graduates and post graduate programmes to a visible quantity of internationally known professionals and scientists in agriculture and related fields.
* The University supports the NCC and the NSS as part of its commitment to instill discipline, sense of patriotism and social sensitivity and commitment. The NCC unit in the University is unique in the state in that it belongs to Veterinary Corps. Apart from contributing in a small measure to the defense preparedness of the nation by having a small but discipline group, the NCC unit makes the University feel proud by securing every year national awards for performance. In all the colleges NSS units are actively functioning.